Turf Club, St. Paul, MN, Oct 2nd

I caught Chuck's show last night in St. Paul. It was a good news/bad news event: The good news is that Chuck and Co. were dazzling and rocked the hell out of a packed house. Chuck is one of the best live performers I've ever seen, who really loosens up and has fun with it. The bad news is that the venue is a teeny little bar that only holds about 150 people. Chuck deserves a much bigger audience!! Also, I had a chance to meet and talk with Chuck before the show—as nice a person as you'll ever meet. Anytime you play in MN, Chuck, we'll be there.

Peter
October 03rd, 2004

the new album…hmm?.

i was finally able to get "age of miracles" this weekend and after playing it a few times, here`s my opinion of it. my favourite track by far is " you did (bomp shooby dooby bomp)...i really dig the hip-hop groove thats goin` on and chucks voice sounds great behind the beat, in rapping mode. i`m all for this new direction,( as in combining the blues and sounds of the modern era)...but i can appreciate that some just wanna see him get back to raw country/rock`n` roll such as "homemade blood". since chuck has gone solo, his guitar playing on records has been much reduced since his pistol whipping days in green on red, when keith richards and richard thompson licks were flying all over the fucking place to the delight of fans. but you`ve gotta move on and it seems chuck is doing just that. on the whole i think "age of miracles" is far weaker ( as in good songs) than his last album ( no other love)...but its a new direction ( its got a very pop sounding vibe runnin through) but there are still rootsy and raw numbers such as "smallest man in the world" which sounds like a song j.j.cale would have wrote to me and it works really well, as does..the raw blues of"monkey in the middle"..( chuck is really a damn fine vocalist as well as a guitar player!). "just to see you smile" is one of those tracks that you have to listen to a few times and to me its got a very "dylan" type vibe going on. "automatic blues" is a fine modern blues sounding tune with great vocals once again. now to the bad points (in my opinion) "heavy duty" and the title track "age of miracles" are songs that just don`t work for me, "heavy duty" just sounds like a track that was used to fill a void in the traclisting at some point? and "age of miracles" is just a tough one for me to listen to...it sounds like a really bad pop song and i really cringe when chuck says something like "lets clap hands" near the outro!. its definately one of those songs you`ll either love or hate. then there`s "west memphis moon" which has great moving lyrical content but the music just goes on and on and on!.its like your waiting for a chord change that never happens unfortunately. onto "you`ve got me where you want me" which has those lovely wah,wah country guitar riffs going on in the background as in "after the rain" from "no other love" but the song is so weak in comparison....luckily, "pin a rose on me" follows this one ( a cool tune). then finally there`s "solid gold" which just kinda drifts and drifts and doesn`t go anywhere!. i`m sure many of you will disagree with this review and really dig the new record. i don`t dislike it, but i certainly don`t love it. "you did (bomp shooby dooby bomp)" is a fucktastic track though...as was "dyin`all young" from "the hurting business"....which also had that hip- hop and sampling goin` on. one thing can be said, chuck is a versatile as hell!...and long may he go on making music!...i just hope it gels better in the future than "age of miracles" comes across. *looking forward to checking the band out "live" in the u.k. REAL sooooon!. peace and rspect.

billy the kid
October 02nd, 2004

Fitzgeralds (Berwyn, IL)

What an excellent show at Fitzgerald's on Oct. 1st. It just sounded great. Thank you, Chuck (and band). However, I had to cut out before the show was over—during Automatic Blues. So, what happened after I left? What'd I miss? Anyone?

Joe Laurx
October 02nd, 2004

9:30 show

9:30 show in DC was great.Old 97's are ok but I went there to see chuck and gang. Wish I could have seen the full show the next night at the Rams Head.I E-mailed WM3.org and let them know about WEST MEMPHIS MOON. Kathy E-mailed me back and said she loved the song and she put a blurb on the site. She put some links on there. One to this site,one for the song,and one to Amazon.com to buy the record.How cool!!FREE THE WEST MEMPHIS THREE!! Chuck hope to see back in DC real soon!

W.B.
September 30th, 2004

CP Opener

I can understand Chuck opening for her-bad-self Lucinda Wiliams, or Bob Dylan and perhaps Westerberg. Chuck opening for the Old'97s? Heinous. Find out who is responsible and revolt,call the "home office" to start, then call the label. Chuck opening for those guys was like watching Petty open for Jay Farrar, just wrong, period. Haven't made it through the new album yet. This must be "New Millenium Chuck Prophet" This might take a minute, do I trade in my shit-kickers for some.$ean John gear? I hate getting old. We love Chuck and the gang! Who are the new guys?

Clyde King
September 28th, 2004

All Music Guide

Not that we shouldn't be happy enough with the brand-spankin' new CD, but AMG is listing yet another - "Turn the Pigeons Loose". Does Chuck think he's Paul Westerberg? I haven't seen this out yet, any help?

Sam
September 28th, 2004

Annapolis Show

I've just returned from CP and the Mission Express at the Rams Head Tavern in Annapolis. What an amazing show. Chuck expressed how great it was to have more than 45 minutes to stretch out the music after playing as the opening act for a number of shows. It was our good fortune to hear the result. They played for just less than two hours and it was obvious they were having a good time. I was especially pleased to hear so many songs from the new album: Solid Gold, Pin a Rose on Me, West Memphis Moon, Just to See You Smile, Smallest Man in the World, You Did, and a blistering Automatic Blues that followed Summertime Thing near the end of the show. All the new tunes were elongated and filled out in the live setting - I wish I had a sounboard... The band is tight - well, except for Chuck who always seems like he's on the verge of falling over while slinging the guitar and making it ring like an instrument of passion. The room was only 2/3 full, which meant that lots of folks still don't know about Chuck. For $18.50 I saw a show that packed more punch and had more soul than all of the $150-$200 arena shows combined. My good fortune! As usual, I will be giving CP albums as Christmas presents - got to share the music...

Randy
September 27th, 2004

photographic review

some photos from a CP show in SLC

[ LINK ]

the dizzster
September 26th, 2004

towson maryland 25th

great show from chuck and the gang. played 4 off the new cd. chuck played a squire guitar, really crisp. his fill work and leads were classic. true, he should of been the headliner, not the opener. ps: no more merchandise available, no t-shirts, etcc bummer. i wanted to meet the gorgeuous ms. steph finch. she was wearing black converse sneakers. wow// sexxy

david
September 26th, 2004

perfect pear at irving/towson shows

send me an email man.

tracey
September 25th, 2004

Page 159 of 161 - ‹ First  < 157 158 159 160 161 > 

Old Friends (LYRICS)

What Makes the Money Dance? (LYRICS)

Summertime Thing (LYRICS)

That’s How Much I Need Your Love (LYRICS)

Elouise (LYRICS)

GIGSVILLEmore »

Sun Jul 23 Summertyne Festival - Sage Gateshead
Newcastle-Upon Tyne, UK
Mon Jul 24 The Leadmill
Sheffield, UK
Tue Jul 25 Hare & Hounds
Birmingham, UK
Wed Jul 26 Errigle Inn
Belfast, UK
Thu Jul 27 Whelans
Dublin, Ireland

BOARD

• Europa tour

"No shows in Scandinavia??? must be a mistake -

• Summertime Thing - video??

"Is there an "official video" for

• yep roc auction

"WOW,the bids for your test pressing on yep roc

• Enjoyed the Show at Lizard Last Night!!

"Hey Chuck safe trip this weekend hope you enjoy

• GREAT SHOW LAST NIGHT IN Kansas City

"got delayed by a train, but caught most of the